A synergy of Indian Space Research Organization and INOX India Private Limited, Vadodara (14th August 2014)
Storage of Liquid Hydrogen with minimum evaporation loss rate at Launch complex is always critical with respect to its cost and delivery schedules from the production plant close to the day of launch. Its criticality further increases in case of increased launch frequencies and for servicing advanced Launch vehicles. Hence it is very essential to establish the storage systems with capability of long term storage with minimum evaporation loss rate.
Due to limitation of suppliers across globe and uncertainty of delivery due to export regulations for such applications, Cryo team of LSSF- SHAR/ISRO had taken up the task of Indigenous development of Liquid Nitrogen (LIN) shielded 40000 liters Liquid Hydrogen Tank in association with INOX India Private Limited., Vadodara.
28th July 2014 marked an important milestone for India, for Indian Space Research Organization and for INOXCVA. After laborious research & engineering man-hours from ISRO & INOXCVA teams, a road transportable, high efficiency LIN shielded 40000 liters Liquid Hydrogen Tank was designed & manufactured to meet stringent requirement of space research. This effort established an important milestone in technology development for realization of LIN shielded vessels in India.
To mark this momentous occasion, a function was planned at M/s Inox India at their Kalol works. Padmashree Dr M Y S Prasad (Director SHAR-ISRO) agreed to grace the occasion where Inox India Pvt Ltd. proudly handed over the Liquid Hydrogen tank to ISRO. Efforts of the team working on this project were appreciated.
A milestone in Cryogenic History
After successful completion of technology demonstration project for 15000 liters Liquid Hydrogen LIN shielded tank, ISRO awarded the project of high efficiency transportable LIN shielded 40000 liters Liquid Hydrogen tank to INOXCVA. This tank will be used to transport Liquid Hydrogen on road form ISRO’s Liquid Hydrogen production center to Launch Pad located around 700 km away.
Padmashree Dr. M Y S Prasad, Director SHAR-ISRO, who was invited to flag off the event said “…. the 40kl Liquid Hydrogen and is jointly designed and developed by SHRIHARIKOTA ISRO and INOXCVA and will be transported from here (Kalol, Gujarat) to SRIHARIKOTA. We will be using this tank for transporting Liquid Hydrogen which is required for our cryogenic stage preparation before launch of GSLV (Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle) in the future. Indian Prime Minister Shri. Narendra Modi has urged us to use Indian made products and this activity highlights this thought. Till now we were using imported tanks from foreign countries but this is first time that we have designed and manufactured such a complex tank in India. So far only 3 foreign companies in the world namely USA, Russia & France make these complex tanks and today INOX INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED joined these 3 big companies in the world to manufacture such a tank indigenously. ISRO is happy to be part of such a prestigious project. Everyone worked hard for this project and I thank the whole team”.
This is the largest Liquid Hydrogen tank built in India using specialized technology and indigenous workforce. The Project was executed over 3 phases
Phase 1: Preliminary design and experimental set up
· Selection & Characterization of Super Insulation in the range 300-80K & 80-4K
· Development of improved LIN shield to have uniform skin temperature in the order of 80K
· Preliminary design for support system and thermalisation plan
Phase 2: Modelling and Computer Simulation
· Finite Element Analysis
· Full tank Model with supports
· Structural and Thermal Analysis
· Simulation of loads and stress distribution
· Calculation and simulation of displacement
· Verification of support system
· Temperature profile on supports and thermalisation
· Software ANSYS V11
· Piping flexibility analysis with Autopipe
Phase 3: detailed engineering, manufacturing and testing
· Final and detailed engineering for support system
· Code compliant design for pressure vessels
· Development of GA/ Fabrication drawings
· Manufacturing to ASME Sec VIII Div. 1 ‘U’ Stamp
· Quality assurance documentation
· In house performance test & data logging
The tank has been provided with vacuum jacketed valves and self-contained safety system including Helium abatement system to prevent vent stack fire.
Liquid Hydrogen TANK SPECIFICATIONS
· Tank Configuration: Horizontal double walled vacuum insulated tank, with Liquid Nitrogen shielding, having skid frame construction, for storage and transportation of Liquid Hydrogen.
· Tank Capacity: 40,000 litres (gross)
· Insulation: Multilayer super Insulation plus vacuum and LIN shield
· Fluid: Liquid Hydrogen (Temperature minus 253 degrees centigrade)
· Shield: Liquid Nitrogen
· Maximum allowable working pressure: 10kg/cm2 (g)
· Design Code: ASME Section VIII Div 1
· Safety & Design Approval: Manufactured under design approval by PESO and Lloyds
· Inspection: Lloyds and PESO surveillance
· Material of Construction: Stainless Steel SS 240 TYP 304 L with MS Frame
· Size & Weight: 15 meter (length) x 2.6 meter (width) x 2.6 meter (height) and 28000kg
Director & CEO of INOX INDIA PVT LTD, Mr Parag. P. Kulkarni said, it is the proud moment for INOX to be part of this prestigious contribution to Indian space program. INOXCVA has always accepted challenges in the field of R&D and successfully added value to the indigenous development programs.
With this major milestone, INOXCVA joins the elite club of very few countries and companies, having proven capability for producing such equipment … and actually involved in “rocket science & technology….!”
QUALITY REQUIREMENTS IN FUSION WELDING OF METTALIC MATERIALS UNDER ISO 3834 ISO 9001-2015 RE-CERTIFICATION...
COMPACT MODULAR LNG STORAGE AND RE-GAS SYSTEM BY INOXCVA
INOXCVA is committed to provide an environment friendly and safe solutions. it has taken lead in small scale LNG application development and its commercialization. ...
Turnkey Solutions for Engineered Packaged Systems Cryogenic Liquid Storage & Vaporization ...
GRAND OPENING OF INOXCVA NEW SERVICE CENTRE IN BRAZIL
NEW SERVICE CENTRE INAUGRATED IN BRAZIL....
INOXCVA to provide cryogenics technology for upcoming LNG terminal at Krishnapatnam port, India - Gasworld
Cryogenic engineering and equipment manufacturer INOXCVA will be providing cryogenics technologies along with associated equipment and project management for the upcoming FLNG terminal of LNG BHARAT, within the breakwaters of the Krishnapatnam Port o...
INOXCVA ISO IMO7 tank container for LIN/LOX/LAR/CO2/LNG services - best in class with highest capacity >22kl and longest holding time ~120 days...
INOXCVA Successfully installs on site LNG facilities in Rajasthan and Maharashtra ...
Reinforcing our global presence
INOXCVA makes its presence felt in South East Asia ...
INOXCVA completes Phase 2 expansion of Ameriport facility in Baytown, Texas...
INOXCVA participates in Middle East Conference 2011
Almost four years to the day since gasworld hosted its first industrial gas conference in the Middle East, the forum for discussion and debate returns to Dubai this week as the eighth international gasworld conference gets underway. With the stunn...
INOXCVA expands its new facility at Ameriport in Baytown, Texas (USA) ...